Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fired!

Well, it looks as if we'll be looking for a new cardiologist...again! Here's an update on the situation I explained in my last post. I talked with Dr. Mainwaring (Logan's surgeon) and he was helpful but asked for more info including a copy of the echo report we just got. I left a message for Dr. Fallah (Logan's previous cardiologist in Sacto) and on Friday, I also called Dr. Ghazali back to recap what we learned at the appt to make sure we understood everything correctly. Dr. Ghazali was out sick until Monday. (Incidentally, had this been an emergency, not sure how I felt when the girl told me "he sometimes forgets to call his patients back when he's out so if I don't hear from him by Monday night, please call back again.") Ummm, okay...

Anyway, Dr. Ghazali did call me back on Monday and we recapped everything. Then I asked if he wouldn't mind sending a copy of his echo report to our previous cardiologist in Sacto? He said he would but wondered why? I told him my reservations about starting Logan back on the blood pressure medication and I was just curious why our previous dr didn't recommend the same plan of care. WELL...he said all the "PC" things but the tone in his voice said he was certainly bothered. Then he asked me to write down a number -which I did- then told me that was the number for Riley Children's Hospital cardiologists in Indianapolis and that it would be better if we continued Logan's care with them instead! What!?? Yep, that's right...he fired us! He said he didn't want us to constantly second guess his opinion on Logan's care and continually refer back to our previous dr for advise and that it would be best for everyone if we saw someone else. I couldn't believe it, but on the other hand, I'm more than happy to move on based on that reaction over a simple question! I explained to him that we just met him and he just met Logan and that we have an established relationship with our previous dr. And the fact that the plan of care was so completely opposite of what we were on prior to moving here that we just wanted to have as much knowledge of this situation as possible before making a decision on whether to put Logan back on medication that may or may not even help at this point. He "respectfully" accepted my concern but didn't want to address it. He took the *RETREAT!* plan of action and headed for the hills instead! Oh well. It's just as well this way. But now I have the task of starting over...again.

P.S. Dr. Fallah called back also and said that he didn't feel the medication was to Logan's advantage at this point. He reminded me of the side effects that Logan had while on this med before (as if I forgot!) and stated that it was his opinion that it wouldn't benefit him to be on it at this point. Yes, his aortic valve is leaking (which we knew is was since the day they put it in) but that his body was handling the leak well at this point and so why medicate until it's necessary? ...Thank you!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was just checking in on you and sounds as if you have an important task - to find the RIGHT cardiologist! What an arrogant dr. he is to not allow a second opinion especially after you have just moved. I hope you find one soon! I feel for you, no one would want to be in limbo with such an important issue.

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh Amber! Thank goodness you found out about that doctor now and not when you really needed him. And that you are such a good advocate for Logan that you checked things out before starting him on a medication. Sheesh! Maybe you need to move back to California...it's sunny here!

jsake1 said...

Sounds like you were right to question the new Doctor and if he is going to act the way he did on a 2nd opion! Good luck and our love to the family.

Unknown said...

Goodness, better for you to go through this now than in a year or so. What a jerk, you're better off!
By the way, what was the reaction to Enalapril?

Amber said...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. I hate being 'that' mom but I'm certainly willing to be when needed! Allison, the side effects Logan had were an extremely dry, raspy chronic cough and low energy levels. He caught right up to where he needed to be in large motor skills almost immediately after being taken off Enalapril.

Gina and the Gang said...

Seriously???? I cannot believe it! What an arse with a complex. Well, at least you only met with him once before realizing he was a jerk. So sorry your relocating has caused such an uproar with Logan's care

Valerie said...

Don't even get me started........

You have always been a "spitfire" when it came to Logan and no need to stop now. Like everyone else said I am glad you found out about his "attitude" now and not later!

jmezee said...

OMG!! It sounds like you are much better off w/out this butthead of a doctor. Like you mentioned...what would have happened if this were an emergency...good luck on your new search :)